Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Semester in Salamanca

By Rachel Fischer
Rachel Fischer in Salamanca, Spain
Studying abroad is arguably the most life-changing experience that college can offer. Whether it’s learning a new language, living in a city for the first time, traveling alone, or trying new foods, it presents you with a constant string of opportunities to learn, have fun, and try new things. By the end of it all you wonder if any of it was real, even if you were pinching yourself every second along the way.

For me, studying abroad was something that I always wanted to do. I’ve been studying Spanish for nine years, which is nearly half of my life. I don’t remember ever consciously making studying abroad a goal of mine, but it was a goal nonetheless and it felt amazing to achieve. After all, while I may have only been abroad for one semester, it was the cumulative effort of nine years of practice and hard work. All that time paid off in what turned out to be the most important experience of my life thus far.

Now, don’t be deceived. I was terrified to study abroad. On my last day in the states, I could hardly function. I wasn’t driving across the state for another semester with my friends at Fredonia. I was about to hop on a plane and fly across the Atlantic Ocean to a foreign county with a bunch of people I hardly knew to live with strangers and learn a second language. I considered backing out more than a handful of times. I didn’t though and, before I knew it, I was in Spain. 

More specifically I was in Salamanca, a small town two hours west of Madrid and home to Spain’s oldest university, La Universidad de Salamanca. It was there that I spent my semester. I took classes with fellow international students at the university, I lived with a host family, and I experienced life as a Spaniard.Living with a host family was definitely the most impactful part of my time abroad. I had my worries about living with strangers, but from the very first moment they were nothing but friendly and welcoming. I had a host mom, a host dad, and two twin seven-year-old host brothers. They were all very patient in the beginning as I became accustomed to the new customs and speaking Spanish. My parents would help me with my homework and my host brothers would always ask to play games before dinner. I was so lucky to be able to live in a home with children. They’re enthusiastic and playful and they never shut up. My house was always lively and full, and as a result I was constantly using and being exposed to Spanish. I didn’t have any trouble speaking, but I had a lot of trouble comprehending my family. It is one thing to hear a language in a quiet classroom setting, but it is a whole other thing to try to understand your host mom shouting from upstairs as she’s vacuuming while you have two seven year olds throwing paper airplanes around the living room. It got easier with time, though, and by the end of my semester I had no problems communicating whatsoever.

My classes were also a major part of studying abroad. After all, I was in Spain to learn! I took classes at the university with other international students. At first, I was sad that I wouldn’t be able to take classes with Spaniards. However, taking classes with international students proved to be an unforgettable experience. My peers were not only from all over the United States, but they were also from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, Russia, Poland, England, Quebec, and Brazil. Studying with them allowed to me make global connections and friendships that will last a lifetime as well as learn about other cultures. I was also able to meet Spaniards through university-organized language exchanges. The majority of the time, I didn’t even feel like I was studying. My classes were refreshing, engaging, and conversation based.  And, when class was over, the lessons continued. That’s the great thing about learning a language abroad: the entire country is your classroom. 

Besides living and studying in Spain, I was also able to do a lot of traveling on the weekends. During my semester abroad, I visited the Spanish cities of Madrid, Seville, Toledo, and Grenada. I was also able to travel to other countries such as Italy, The Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, France, and England. On the weekdays, I was falling in love with Spain. On the weekends, I was falling in love with the rest of the world. Traveling is such a rewarding experience. There isn’t anything quite like walking into The Coliseum for the first time. Nothing can compare to touring the Anne Frank House in The Netherlands. I will never forget having a quiet lunch in a pub in Ireland and I will cherish the selfie that I took with the Mona Lisa forever. It’s impossible to choose a favorite country or experience from my time abroad, because each country I saw and each moment I experienced was so incredible in its own way. Studying in Spain not only allowed me to experience Spanish life, language, and culture, but it also allowed me to take a glimpse into life all over Europe.

At the end of my semester, the last thing I wanted to do was go home. It was true that I missed my family and friends, but I felt like Spain still had so much to offer me. The semester flew by and only left me wanting more. There was still so much to do, so many places to see, and so many people to meet. If there is one thing that studying abroad taught me it’s that my study abroad experience didn’t end when I returned the United States. It is something that I will carry with me forever and apply to my friendships, classes and career. I learned so much more than Spanish when I was in Salamanca. I learned how to adjust to new customs and norms. I learned how to interact with others from vastly different cultures. I saw the world from a different point of view, and I learned that hard work truly pays off. I know that these are lessons that I will never forget, and I’ll use them for the rest of my life. Studying abroad was the opportunity of a lifetime, and I will cherish the memories I made forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment