Monday, March 30, 2015

Teaching Spanish in Sweden

Hello, my name is Chelsea Marzullo. I graduated from Fredonia in 2011 as a Spanish-Education major. Since graduating from Fredonia I have moved to Sweden and have been teaching Spanish at an International English school. I am currently in my third year of teaching at the school, Internationella Engelska Skolan i Sundsvall.
Spanish has opened many doors and opportunities over the years, but living abroad and teaching my passion is by far the greatest. Even though I teach Spanish at the school I interact with students on a daily basis who are learning English as a Second Language. So over the past two and half years I have not only seen students Spanish grow and improve, but their English as well.
Since starting at the school I have help start many new events. One being foreign language week and ``Språkfesten´´ or Language Party. In the different year groups we focus on a different cultural point of the language. In year 6 we learn the history of piñatas, and then the students get to make piñatas in class.

A fellow colleague and myself also started a fashion show at the school where students learn organizational skills, leadership skills, how to have a sense of good self esteem, and much more. Students model clothing donated from stores, choreograph and perform dances, and sing/ play songs. This is what I am most proud of since I've moved to Sweden, and without Spanish I never would have gotten to experience this.

2 comments:

  1. Hola Chelsea!
    It seems like you are having a very interesting experience, felicidades!
    I'm a preschool teacher from Mexico. One of my dreams it is to teach abroad.
    I've been thinking about teaching spanish in Sweden and I would appreciate it if you could help me out with ideas or contacts about where to start.
    I'm also a first time mommy, I have a 18 mo baby girl.

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I love to teach also, I'm looking for an opportunity to teach spanish in Sweden or other Scandinavian country, if you know something i will glad to get some info.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete