Monday, October 12, 2015

Fredonia Alum Experiencing the First Year of Teaching While Abroad in Argentina

William Webber is a 2015 Fredonia alum currently teaching English in Argentina.


We had the opportunity to talk to Will via Skype about his experiences teaching in Argentina. He is a 2015 Fredonia alum, graduating with a Bachelors of Arts degree in French and Spanish and a Bachelors of Science in International Studies and a Minor in Political Science. 


What are you doing in Argentina right now?
Right now, I am an English teacher in a private secondary school in Buenos Aires. I teach the advanced students of English as well as provide ample opportunities for students to be exposed to the American English accent. Additionally, I advise and administer English club.



How did you get this opportunity?

Long story short, I asked for it. I was the President of International Club at Fredonia and my name as President was published on the International Club Facebook page. One day I received a message from a woman who introduced herself as a former student of Fredonia who lives in Buenos Aires with her husband and together they own a school. She reached out to me to form a language exchange with her students and our students for her students to practice English with our students and for our students to practice Spanish with her students. After a couple of months of the exchange, I decided that I was going to ask her if she would like to have a native English teacher. To my utter surprise, she said yes enthusiastically! Three weeks after graduation I was on a plane for Buenos Aires.

What is the biggest culture shock you’ve experienced?
This is a hard question because there were so many. I guess I would have to say that the biggest shock I have experienced is not being able to access things as easily as I could in the United States. For example, in my school we have very limited resources. There are no textbooks, teachers do not have their own classrooms, there are no computers except for one in the main office, and printing and copying is very limited. If you want to make copies you have to go to the kiosk next to the school and of course that costs money. This makes lesson planning and execution more or less difficult. I’ve had to become more creative and change my entire thought pattern to become more Argentine, and use what is given to me. Even the littlest things, like paying for my cell phone is a process. Because my credit card is not accepted online, I have to pay in cash; what that means is I have to find the store that accepts my money to pay. Sometimes that includes going to the bank to withdraw money, walking to the store or taking a bus, giving my reference number, explaining how much I am going to pay, giving the employee my money, and then receiving a receipt. It’s not like in the United States where at the click of a button you’re done.

What is your everyday look like linguistically?
Linguistically speaking, every day I am speaking in both English and Spanish. From the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed, I never know which language will come out next. At the school, I speak primarily in English to my students and Spanish to those whose English levels are not at conversation level. Outside of school, most of my friends speak little to no English, so I must communicate in Spanish. The Spanish itself is a special form of Spanish where the Spanish I learned in school and at Fredonia has basically been completely wiped away. I have had to learn a new accent, new words and phrases, and new conjugations. For example; Vos sos re copado! This means, "TĂș eres muy genial" in neutral Spanish (the Spanish I learned) and “You are very cool” in English.

Most unique/coolest thing about Argentina?
The coolest thing is the amount of diversity here. That lends itself to Argentina’s history of immigration from Italy and Europe. Before living in Argentina, I had the stereotypical Spanish-speaking-person image in my head. To my surprise, there are people who look just like me; white, blond hair and blue eyes, who are Argentine and speak Spanish natively.

What are your goals after your program?
After my program finishes, I plan to return to the United States to continue my studies in Graduate School at George Washington University; where I have been accepted into the Master’s Program for International Education. My goal is to one day be the director of an Office of International Education at an American university and lead that university to have a more global perspective. Dreaming big, I would like to become the United States Ambassador to Argentina.

Advice to Fredonia students?
Oh, there's so much...In terms of language study I would say, talk in your target language as much as you can. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and ask for help. In terms of living abroad, my best advice would be to just roll with the punches because you are going to have really good days and really bad days. That also goes along with language learning; if you go to a country to live in your target language, you will find out you will be able to speak your target language really well one day and the next day you cannot get anything out. It is a roller-coaster ride, that's what it is. This is an opportunity to really show yourself what you're made of and break down the barriers you've created for yourself.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy teaching day to enlighten Fredonia about your experiences, Will. We miss you and wish you the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment